Saturday, May 25, 2013

Trouble and reflection....

Nothing gives us more please or more grief then our children.  The same can be said for mine.  Late last Thursday night my son got in serious trouble, problems that most kids today face -  risky behavior and in choosing the hard choices.  He choose wrong, leading him down a path we were none to proud of.  So rather then fly out on business Friday, I cancelled the trip and had serious discussions with him about his choices. All on the CarolMarie - a peaceful place removed from the real world.

Soon he came to his senses and in a stream of tears apologized and worked to be on the right track.  On Saturday he begged to go to boat, seeing it as a peaceful escape, where he could focus on the right things in life.  Grabbing up a book he has been reluctant to read for homework, he blazed through it.


Through the dodger I capture a photo of him, focusing on the working toward being on the right path.  It reminded me of the true words in the opening paragraph of Moby Dick. "Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship."

Perhaps Mr. Melville had it right all long, and we should all find solace to "quietly take to the ship."

No comments:

Post a Comment