Sunday, May 18, 2014

SIYC Drift/Race and turning five oh.

Last month we registered for the Sauvie Island Yacht Club's Drift/Race Cruise.  We were second to signup in the full keel class.

Our sign up package
The crew was comprised of Cheryl, Michelle, Tom, Kevin, Charing, Isaac, and your's truly.   We arrived at the boat at 7:00am to begin preparing her for the day.  Something happened and we lost our house battery bank, but managed to get the engine running.   Since we had our hand held VHF's we decided to go on to the race.   The race began at buoy 7 about 15 knots down river of the Vancouver Railroad Bridge.

Our first step in getting out was to get past the I-5 bridge.  I called for a lift and found the same operator who almost closed the bridge on us a few weeks ago.  He gladly opened the bridge for us and seemed to remember the boat's name.

Passing through the I5 Bridge
The Vancouver Railroad Bridge had just been opened by Moonshadow, staying open as we passed.


Through the Vancouver Railroad Bridge
Once we got through I turned the helm over to Cheryl and she led us under power to the starting area.

Cheryl at the helm.
We motored down to green buoy 7 which is about fifteen nautical miles from Salpare Bay.  Along the way the crew chatted and readied the cameras for the big race.

Kevin and Tom mounting a go-pro camera to the boat.
Tom, Kevin, and Cheryl chatting as we made our way down river.

Michelle asking the question, "we're racing this boat?"


Crew ready at the start

Isaac, "Dad, I'll jibe in a minute, let me finish my apple first."


Kevin and Cheryl getting the staysail sheets ready.
Once we got down to the starting line we waited for others to gather and ate an awesome lunch that Michelle had packed for everyone.  She had packed cheeses, raw veggies, crackers, and hummus.

Soon Craig the SIYC commodore called for the check in of the racers, and began the count down to the race. We started putting the sails up as the count down began.


CarolMarie getting her sails up
After the sails were up we circled as we waited for the start of the race.

Three of the competitors circling for the start.
 With a perfect start we crossed the line first, taking line honors for the start.

CarolMarie taking the start as the first one crossing after the firing gun.
 We didn't hold on to lead for long, Garry had developed a full speed as he crossed the line.

Shortly after the race begins we were passed by Garry.
The CarolMarie held onto second place for a good 45 minutes.  Here we are ahead of Moonshadow and Rowena.
CarolMarie holding on to second place.
In the photo below, way ahead is Garry leading the pack, then the CarolMarie, Moonshadow and Rowena.
CarolMarie still in second.
 By fifty minutes into the race we were passed by Moonshadow, giving the second place position to Richard.

CarolMarie passed by Moonshadow
An hour into the race we were past by Rowena.

CarolMarie in last place in the full keel division passed by Rowena
 The CarolMarie brought up the rear of the full keel class of boats drifting toward the finish.

CarolMarie drifting towards the finish

 All was not lost, because we did finish right before the first place boat in the fin keel class.


CarolMarie passing over the finish line right before the the first place fin keel boat.

CarolMarie finished
 At the finish the crew celebrated, taking down the sails and motoring over to Sand Island.

Race finished crew celebrated


Motoring to Sand Island at the end of the race

Tom and Kevin talking as we motored to Sand Isalnd


Motoring to Sand Island
 We moored at Sand Island and as I jumped off the boat the crew had made it down before me, sing "Happy Birthday" to me.  I was shocked and surprised; they had kept it from me the entire time.   We gathered over at Rowena for celebrated by having Guinness (thanks Michelle!), steak (thanks to Charing, and Cheryl), tortillas (thanks to Charing, and Cheryl), salsa (thanks to Charing, and Cheryl), lettuce (thanks to Charing, and Cheryl), tomatoes(thanks to Charing, and Cheryl), and avocados (thanks to Charing, and Cheryl).

Gathering near Rowena at Sand Island Park




Crew having dinner after the race....
Of course what's a surprise party without a goofy hat, birthday candles and cake.  Thanks, to Alicia and Ray, from Rowena all three were provided.   Here Ray is presenting me with the little birthday cakes, and candles.

Cake and candles.

Cake and candles.
 After the party we needed to get back to Salpare Bay because we didn't have a stable electrical system.  So the crew when back to the CarolMarie and helped put her away; flaking sails and putting the sail covers on.


flaking out the sails on the CarolMarie

Drifter ready for bagging.

 Everyone on the CarolMarie got crew shirts thanks to Charing....

Tom 

Terry 

Michelle

Cheryl
Saturday the 17th of May was one of the best days of my life.  I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate by 50th, then by being with my best friends, doing my favorite pastime, and celebrating with my family and friends.  Thanks to my friends and crew: Tom, Cheryl, Michelle and Kevin. Thanks to my son Isaac for coming along even though he says he hates the boat.  But most of all thanks to my wonderful wife, Charing for pulling together a perfect day for me.

Even though we lost the race, I wasn't bothered by that fact in the least.  I am reminded in sailing (just like in life), it's not about who is there first it's about the adventure getting there.  If last Saturday were the metaphor for my life, I'd have to say I came in first, because my adventure was much sweeter with the friends and family I had on our boat.










No comments:

Post a Comment